The City of Legazpi is the capital of the Province of Albay and the administrative center of the Bicol Region. Recognized as one of the fastest-growing and most competitive cities in the Philippines, Legazpi is also an economic, educational, transportation and service center of the region. The city is nicknamed the ‘Gateway to the Bicol Region’ because of its accessibility and complete land, air, rail, and sea transportation facilities. Legazpi is renowned worldwide for its beautiful natural scenery dominated by Mount Mayon. Taking advantage of its natural wonders, Legazpi has positioned itself as an adventure destination and fitness city.
Crown Shape – Symbolizes power
Red, White and Blue colors – the colors of the Philippine National Flag
Rising Sun – Symbol of Progress
Mayon Volcano – Celebrating the beauty and grandeur of Mt. Mayon
Sea, wharf, steamer and pier – Signifies Legazpi’s designation as a port city
Bundles of Palay and Coconut Trees – Indicates that agriculture is the main industry and the chief source of income in the city with copra as the leading export product
Wing, wheel and anchor – Symbolizes the air, land and water transportation facilities of the city
- 123°44′ Longitude East, 13°08′ Latitude North
- Situated on the eastern portion of Albay province
- Approximately 556 kilometers south of Manila
Generally plain on the northeastern side with slope ranging from 5 to about 15 degrees while dominantly rolling to hilly on the southern part. Coastal areas vary from plain (northern portion) to hilly terrain (southern portion).
Legazpi was named after Miguel López de Legazpi, the Spanish conquistador who conquered the Philippine islands in 1565, and whose family name came from Legazpi, a town in Guipuzcoa, Spain.
The place was founded by the ancient settlers of the old barangay of Sawangan in the domain of Gat Ibal, a chief who ruled Albay. Spread in small groups of huts made of nipa and rattan, the small settlement occupied a conscription of low and swampy land known as Banuang-gurang or Binanuahan, which means old town or place in which a town was built.
Legazpi first became a city under the Becerra Law of 1892, which constituted the municipalities of Legazpi, Albay Nuevo and Daraga, into the Ayutamiento de Albay.
Legazpi became a city for the second time on July 18, 1948 when Daraga and Legazpi were combined again to constitute its territory, under Republic Act No. 306. With the re-creation of the two municipalities, the city was dissolved in June 8, 1954. Finally, on June 12, 1959, Legazpi became a city once more under Republic Act No. 2234. This was later amended by Republic Act No. 5525.
On February 27, 1973, the city of Legazpi was declared under Presidential Decree No. 125, to comprise its present territorial jurisdiction and the adjacent municipality of Daraga. With the onset of the Integrated Reorganization Plan however, the decree was permanently mothballed. This plan also made the city as the regional administrative center of the Bicol Region (Presidential Decree No.1).
- Legazpi Domestic Airport, trunkline (2280 x 36 meters runway, 75 hectares total area)
- Legazpi Port, national sub-port of entry (329 meters and 12 meters, total area is 4,942 square meters with an open storage space of 1,738 meters) Legazpi Grand Terminal
- Legazpi Railway Station
- Total Road Network: 180.255 kilometers
- Total number of bridges: 18 with an aggregate total length of 404.80 linear meters