Cathedral of St. Gregory the Great
The Cathedral of St. Gregory the Great (San Gregorio Magno), also called the Albay Cathedral, is the Episcopal Seat of the Diocese of Legazpi. The cathedral had its humble beginnings as a wooden and nipa chapel built by early Spanish missionaries in the 1580s. Under the guidance of Albay Governor Jose M. de Peñaranda, the church became a magnificent stone structure in the 1800s.
Its architecture is described as Greco-Roman with its bell tower located at the center of the facade, similar to other churches in Bicol such as the St. Joseph Parish Church in Barcelona, Sorsogon; St. Michael the Archangel Church in Caramoan, Camarines Sur and the St. John the Baptist Church in Bato, Catanduanes.
The church suffered damage during the Second World War and was subsequently reconstructed. The church was elevated to become a cathedral when the Episcopal See of the Diocese of Legaspi was separated from Nueva Caceres and erected canonically as such on October 20, 1951.
The Cathedral of St. Gregory the Great is one of the most prominent landmarks in the Albay District of Legazpi. It is located near the Peñaranda Park, Albay Capitol and the Legazpi City Hall. It is easily accessible from all points of the city.
The cathedral is easily accessible from all points of the city. From the business district, you can take a jeepney going to Daraga and alight near the Legazpi City Hall or near the Gregorian Mall. The cathedral is also approximately two kilometers away from the airport and bus terminal.